Interview with the ND Pipes - TND Tobacco smoking pipes






William: To get this interview started, tell me what your full name is, since people know about the TND brand name but not your exact name?


Daniel: I am Daniel Mustran from Croatia. Formerly known as TND tobacco pipes but recently due to personal reason this has been changed to ND Pipes...


William : TND brand name ... How did you decide on it?


Daniel : TND was a name chosen from first letters of names of my family (it is for Tirana, Noah, Daniel). However, I am going through a divorce and this name lost it’s meaning. So, what was left was only Noah and Daniel. This is why I am now working under ND Pipes. My work is still a hobby and in near future I will try to register it.


William : A very classic question : How did you start pipe making


Daniel : During my whole life, from the time I can remember, I was fascinated with pipes and people smoking them. From time to time, I have been fortunate enough to get the chance to talk with guys that were smoking them. I liked it a lot – the smoke, the “ritual” wrapped around it, everything. But, what I liked the most was the sense of peace those guys had while smoking those beautiful pieces of functional art. As this is what pipes truly are.

With my pipe making, everything started in spring 2010 after a good talk with my cousin from Texas and when I finally decided to make a pipe for myself instead of buying one (as they were too expensive for me). First one was finished on Aug. 13th. After that, everything started to roll pipe by pipe. The second one was made for my wife, then a few more went for a price of the material for guys at my office (a good chance for me to practice pipe making without investing any money in it).


William: When did TND start?


Daniel : At first, I did not have the name under which I will make them – the first idea was to make a pipe or two for me. But I got hooked to pipe making and the natural step was to think about the name. This was around August 2010.


William :People say very good things about your pipes . What's special about your pipes?


Daniel : I don’t know – never been thinking about that. I do know how I am trying to make my pipes. For starters – I don’t like orders (I do make them, but don’t like them). The reason for that is simple – pipemaking is my hobby, something that I am trying to do with love and passion. To me, pipes are small pieces of functional art – something that I invest energy into. Something that is a part of me. What I felt at the moment of making. I am trying to “invest” myself into creating them. And My work is complete is people can feel that energy and joy coming from them. Maybe this is a bit special there. Don’t know. I am not thinking much about it – i am just making them.


William: What are other pipe brands that you smoke other than TND pipes?


Daniel : I had a few pipes that I got as a gift when I was starting. They were all given away – I have only one of them left – a nice Oldenkott pipe that I got from a dear friend that I remanded and repolished. She is not in use anymore. I smoke only my pipes now.


William: What's the most important detail that makes a pipe a high-end pipe?


Daniel : In my opinion, there are many details that make a pipe a good pipe. But most important one for me – a pipe has to fulfill its purpose – she has to smoke good. That is her purpose, that is why she was created. This fact will include a good material, a well-thought drilling (shape and size of the tobacco chamber, draft hole and so on), materials for extensions if any and fitting the mouthpiece and so on... Many details there. But at the end, she has to smoke good.


The shape is more individual and in my opinion will not determine the quality of the pipe. It is more the matter of taste. Of course, if the shape is more complex and well executed it is better but if the drilling on that very pipe is poor, the beauty of the shape is not as important (in my opinion).


William: What's the price of your most expensive pipe ever you made?


Daniel : As said, I am a hobby pipe maker – making my pipes mostly because I love to make them. They do cover the price of the material and boost my home budget, but I am not trying to charge them “an arm and a leg” even if I need in between few days up to 2 weeks to make them. The highest price was 220USD with shipping, handmade bamboo box, certificate and pouch included in that price. This will probably change with time, when I register this as a business.


William : Which tobacco blends do you smoke?


Daniel : I love Latakia blends. Very few aromatics are there too, but mostly Latakia.


Note : Tobacco choice is highly appreciated by the Editor :) 


William :What's your future. Goal for TND pipes?


Daniel : Future goal for ND Pipes – to register and survive. To be able to make pipes in future and registered as a small business.


A dream of mine will be to make pipes and give them. Yes, to be able to make them because i love to make them and to give them for the price of the material and shipping – only that. Would love that.


William : Can you describe your dream pipe? Did you make it yet?


Daniel : When you look at my pipes, I do hope You can see that they develop in shape and complexity. I do not dream to make a perfect pipe. I would love if they will continue to develop in quality and complexity. It would be nice to walk that road and see where it will lead me.


William: Which type of finish do you prefer, rusticated or smooth?


Daniel :Smooth. If possible.


William : What about pipe smoking in your country? People like pipe smoking and pipe smokers?


Daniel : Pipe smoking is rare. Mostly, people are using cigarettes. However, we have a small group in my hometown – guys that use pipes and that meet from time to time and enjoy tobacco, good talk and have fun.


William : Can you tell us about the lemon tree pipe? What are the advantages of a pipe made of lemon tree?


Daniel : I like to use different types of wood – to try them and see how well they can smoke. I found out that lemon wood can be used too (I have also tried to make a pipe from Prunus Mahaleb (St. Lucie Cherry), olive wood, morta – all of them smoke nicely and i love each one of those materials). Lemon tree wood is a bit problematic to make pipes from as it loves to crack due to a process of drying, and it is internal structure. If you manage to make a pipe from it (and it is not an easy task – a hard wood to work with) and if it does not crack, she will smoke very nice – it holds heat very well and is especially nice to Virginia blends...


What about the smoking experience?


Daniel : I do smoke pipes – but I am not addicted to it... Sometimes, I don’t smoke a single pipe for days... Then it hits me, and I use several pipes per day. We can say that I love one hitter pipes and I smoke a pipe or two per day in average.

To me, smoking a pipe is more an experience of searching a peace with myself – searching for a peaceful moment with me, not a need. When I have the time, when I want to do it, I smoke a few bowls.


William: Thank you. We will

Comments

Popular Posts